If a passenger is not able to produce a valid ticket, he or she is charged a penalty fare of 80 euros and the price of a single (or value) ticket.
The penalty fare can be issued for example:
- if you have no ticket (unless you are allowed to travel without a ticket)
- you have not placed the travelcard to the card reader
- you have a personal ticket you are not eligible for (eg. student tickets, school tickets, Nysse+VR)
- the ticket is outdated or not valid
- the ticket is for the wrong age group (with holder-specific tickets only a senior may travel with another senior's ticket, with adult's ticket may travel adult/young person/child, with a young person's ticket may travel another young person or a child, and with a child's ticket only another child).
- you are travelling in a zone your ticket is not valid for
- your travelcard is closed
Penalty Fare's Office
The inspection is operated by Helsinki Region Transport (HSL). If you want to appeal for correction, please contact HSL:
Penalty fares, tel. 09 476 64111 (9am-1pm)
Collection and enforcement of payments as well as loan arrangements, tel. 09 476 64200 (9am-1pm)
correction requirements: email@example.com